Friday, March 21, 2008

day fifteen: I love the eighties

A few nights ago, I watched the Anton Corbijn-directed Enjoy the Silence video. I love how Dave Gahan is such a bashful king, roaming the country carrying a lawn chair. I watched the Cure’s Just Like Heaven, where Robert twirls on a cliff with his wife Mary, a ghost bride. And I watched R.E.M. play So. Central Rain on the Letterman Show in 1982, before the song even had a name. In this clip, Michael crouches behind the camera while Peter and Mike are interviewed by Letterman. He stands up just before the music begins, shirt tucked into high pants and hair over his eyes.

I love these songs so much, and when I think about having a kid I imagine scenarios when I'd play this old college rock for her. She'd shake her head, and roll her eyes, and maybe secretly like it in this timeless, emotive way.

No comments: