Saturday, March 8, 2008

day four: umame me

Just had dinner with two other couples, which was really amazing. Five courses over five hours at a friend's place in Queen Anne. We made rainbow carrots and chard with juniper berries for dish one, chocolate linguini with cherries and mascarpone for dish two.

At these sort of dinners we stay out later than usual and talk about things like dangerous sushi. Someone mentions how people in Japan die from eating blowfish, like one hundred fatalities each year. My husband asks who's heard about umame, the fifth flavor. "Sweet, sour, bitter, salty, and now this new elemental taste," he says. I start to think about how umame, shrimpy and closer to salty seaweed than anything, is more like a combination of all tastes than a new taste on its own.

When I turned twenty, I felt sweeter than sweet. Listened to a pop song about a sugar rush on my birthday ten years ago. Now I'm most likely mashed up, all-spiced. Umame-fied.

No comments: