Thursday, April 3, 2008

day twenty-four: pacify the elderly

I'm eating a bowl of frozen raspberries, which are the same color that the water turned when we cooked swiss chard for dinner, which is the same color as the ruby slipper tea I drank this afternoon.

It's funny when monotonous things are repetitive yet interesting. Hating and loving the idea of collaging my walls. Walls covered with old black and white newspapers would give me this easy leaning, like I'm on a 4 pt. Times New Roman road trip.

And so at work for instance, hours turn into days, then to weeks and so on. Time feels the same, but in a comforting way. That's until you look back, and see that we always have chocolate chip mint ice cream in the freezer, and you complain about having to take the dog out before bed, and I fall asleep with under the pumpkin-colored afghan in the den, and you keep awake until after the weather.

I think that's when repetition stops being the symptom and becomes the pacifier.

No comments: